Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Spring will be here soon


Well we are finally on the down side of winter. For the most part the winter was mild here and the birds did not have it to bad. However we're not out of the woods yet so continue your winter feeding.

Spring is my favorite time of year to watch birds. By the end of April the migration is in full swing and it's fun to get out and see birds I would not normally be able to see. There are several species of warblers and a trip about 90 minutes west of where I live allows me the opportunity to see them all. Last year I was amazed at how many birds I got to see for the first time. I even had an oven bird set up shop under the bushes in my back yard for a couple of weeks.

It's kind of a down period right now as I await the spring season. My goal this spring is to post once a week on a different species of bird and try to keep it in a time line with the migration. I will also try to give tips on attracting and keeping certain species to your back yard. If you want a head start now is the time to purchase your nesting boxes and get them put up. Also if you had nesting boxes from last year be sure to clean out the old nest. (should have been a fall project, but it's not to late...lol) I will start by posting probably next Monday probably with the gold finch as they should begin to transform back to their bright gold pretty soon.

Finally those of you who visit this page from the south, I would love to hear from you as the birds start their movement north. The Ruby throated humming bird is my favorite but I also love the blue birds. I look forward to all our feathered friends coming back this year as they complete their cycle of life.

3 comments:

Toni said...

>>>(should have been a fall project, but it's not to late...lol)<<<

Oops! Yep, went out the other day to add a suet and sure enough, old nest in the box there. I'll look forward to reading up on your spring posts, bro. And I know several others who will as well.
Love ya,
Pone

Renna said...

Thanks for the reminder of the nesting boxes. I need to haul out the ladder and the garden hose.

I saw a flock of birds yesterday which I didn't recognize. I've seen them come through here before and even remember looking them up, but I've since forgotten what they are. I think they're the same ones, anyway.

It was near dusk and the last of the sunlight washed them out somewhat, plus they were very high, flying from the top of one extremely tall tree to another. They appeared to be very large birds, and their undersides looked yellow. Any ideas?

I look forward to your weekly posts. I love your blog! :-)

Remington said...

Not really sure. If you see them again get a little more detail and I can look them up on a program I have at home. I'm at work right now with some down time and thought I would visit the site on my phone.