Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Lessons We Can Learn From Geese



While researching geese online I came across this one day. While I wish I could take credit for it I can't. However it's so interesting I thought this would be the perfect place to share it.



Fact 1: As each goose flaps its wings it creates an uplift for the birds that follow. By flying in a "V" formation, the entire flock adds 71% greater flying range than if each bird flew alone.



Lesson: People who share a common direction and sense of community can get where they are going quicker and easier because they are traveling on the thrust of one another.



Fact 2: When a goose falls out of formation, it suddenly feels the drag and resistance of flying alone. It quickly moves back into formation to take advantage of the lifting power of the bird immediately in front of it.



Lesson: If we have as much sense as a goose we stay in formation with those headed where we want to go. We are willing to accept their help and give our help to others.



Fact 3: When the lead goose tires, it rotates back into the formation and another goose flies to the point position.



Lesson: It pays to take turns doing the hard task and sharing the leadership. As with geese, people are interdependent on each others skills, capabilities and unique arrangements of gifts, talents or resources.



Fact 4: The geese flying information honk to encourage those flying up front to keep up their speed.



Lesson: We need to make sure honking is encouraging. In groups where there is encouragement the production is much greater. The power of encouragement (to stand by one's heart or core values and encourage the heart and core of others) is the quality of honking we seek.



Fact 5: When a goose gets sick, wounded, or shot down, two geese drop out of formation and follow it down to help protect it. They stay with that goose and protect it until it is healthy enough to fly or dies. Then they launch out to join a passing flock or try and catch up to the flock the were in.



Lesson: If we have as much sense as geese, we will stand by each other in difficult times as well as when we are strong.

4 comments:

Toni said...

Aw, bro. I love this post. Btw, stop by my blog and pick up your very first award. ;)
Love,
Pone

Renna said...

I love the picture, and I'm with Toni, that is an awesome post.

It's amazing how similar many of the geese facts are with verses in the book of Proverbs in the bible. Those geese are pretty smart birds. ;-)

PS-If you've never seen the film "Winged Migration", you should check it out. Being a bird lover, I'm sure you'd enjoy it. My dh isn't the bird fanatic I am, but he thoroughly enjoys watching that film with me. We've seen it 3 times! :-)

Remington said...

I have it on DVD and love it. I figured I would put that little clip up there to tease people into checking it out.

Renna said...

Doh! I hadn't even noticed the clip! ;-Þ