Tuesday, April 15, 2008

The Eastern Bluebird

One of the most anticipated for allot of people come spring, is the return of the Eastern Bluebird. While I do not get them in my yard, I did try for about 3 years (not knowing any better) and I do often go to places that do get them to observe them.

While I did plenty of research trying to attract them, I can't really make any observations other than those witnessed at some local park around here. I will however cover all I have learned while researching them as well as use sources available to me for this post.
So let me start by saying this is one of my top 10 favorite birds. I still get excited every time I see once and I'm jealous of those of you lucky enough to have them visit your yard. I'm hoping my sister Toni will have the luck of them nesting in her yard this year as she does get them.

The eastern bluebird is reminiscent of its larger cousin the American Robin, with a rusty red breast and white belly. It has a sky blue head, back and tail. Perhaps the only pretty bird with blue coloring that I've observed is the indigo bunting. I'll save those for a later post.

Once a more common bird, bluebirds severely declined in population do to habitat loss and the introduction of the house sparrow in 1851 and starlings in 1890. (We know my opinion of the starling.) These two species compete heavily for the nesting cavities bluebirds need. So I spent 3 years booting sparrow out of boxes until it became obvious that I was not going to attract any bluebirds. Thanks to the efforts of the North American Bluebird Society and thousands of people who put up bluebird nesting boxes, bluebird populations are now on an upswing. If you have bluebirds in your are, you can do your part and help make a difference by putting up bluebird boxes and creating a bluebird trail.

While putting up one box you can help, many people put up several boxes to try to attract them. Several bluebird houses put up in a given area is often called a "bluebird trail." I see one of these every day as I go to work along a freeway that goes through a stretch of country. I also see them along a trail at a local metro park. The trails are usually found along a trail or in the case where I see them going to work, along a road on a fence line so they can be monitored.

When creating a trail the houses should be placed approximately 100 yards a part in open, not heavily wooded, areas that have short or little ground vegetation. They like have small trees, shrubs or other perches with in 100 yards of their box. Perhaps if your in an area that is right but you do not have enough property, if you know a neighbor enjoys the birds you could set it up between the two properties.

A bluebird house should have the following dimensions. Entrance hole diameter is 1 1/2". The height above the floor should be 6"-7". Inside floor dimensions are 4"X4" and the total height of the box between 11"-12". You should try and place your boxes 4'-6' up om a tree, post or pole and place it facing away from your feeders because they do like their privacy. They sell bluebird boxes everywhere including Walmart for like $9.99.

You can also attract them to your yard by feeding them. Most of the feeders I've seen for bluebirds are clear plastic on the sides and enclosed. There are openings on each end and the birds go inside to eat. You can use either meal worms from a bird store or bait and tackle shop, or they sell bluebird nuggets in a bag at some places. They are basically suet balls and I'm sure they must work as plenty of places sell them. you can also use a shallow dish to feed them or wild birds unlimited and Yankee Droll sell feeders that are all clear plastic and have a dome that can be raised or lowered to restrict the size of the birds using it. I have the one from Wild Birds (The Dinner Bell) and absolutely love it. You can really get creative feeding the birds with it and vary the food from fruit to seed.

Males are the first to return in the spring followed by the females a week or two later. The males search out a good territory that includes a good nesting site. He then courts the female by singing and doing a wing wave (raising and quivering one or both wings.) He may also feed her to further entice her.

The female selects the nesting box and builds the nest. This process can take several days to more than a week.

After the incubation period of 12-14 days, the eggs hatch. She can lay between 4-5 eggs which are pale blue without markings. For the first several days the female keeps the babies warm by brooding them, the male brings food for all of them. Once the babies have enough feathers to keep them self's warm, both parent will then split the feedings. The babies will remain in the nest for the next 15-18 days. They grow fast more than doubling their weight in a weeks time. Their eyes open between 4-7 days and by the 15th day they are completely feathered. The babies will leave the box somewhere between 17 to 22 days.

The fledgling are cared for by the parents from 2-4 weeks. Fledgling refers to the period from the time they hatch until they are able to fly or leave the nest. While some birds may be able to leave the nest with in hours of being born, it may be weeks before they are able to fly. Until the birds are actually able to fly they are considered fledglings. Birds that are still in the nest are referred to nestlings. Hopefully this will clear up some of the terminology I use from time to time.

The female can produce 1-2 broods per year. Often if she has a second brood, the first brood help to raise the young of the second. After breeding family groups remain near their nesting areas until they begin to migrate south. They will then travel in flocks feeding on fruit and what ever insects they can find.

Hopefully this post will help encourage you to try and help attract bluebirds to your property. If where you live is not the proper habitat as is the case where I live, you can make a donation to a bluebird society or even just donate a bluebird box to one of your local parks. It will be through these efforts that we can ensure the bluebirds will continue to flourish and that future generations will be able to enjoy their beauty.

9 comments:

Renna said...

You really know your bluebirds! :-)

I don't get them in my yard. In our 15 years here, I've never once seen one. :-( I have two sis's-in-law who each get them in their yards. They both live locally, but out in the country.

Last summer, one sis-in-law discovered a dead bird (probably house sparrow) hanging from one of her blue bird nesting boxes. Apparently the bird got it's head stuck in the hole and couldn't get it out. It was a bit gruesome. ;-Þ

Sharon said...

What a delicate beauty. I've never heard of or seen this lovely creature. Will do some research to see if they are even in this area.

Yes, you really DO know your bluebirds! :) Thank you so much for all your information.

Well, Renna, if you have them as close as what....maybe 11 hours from me, I might even have some nearby, even though they are called an "Eastern" Bluebird. We both live in the Midwest.

Renna said...

I read every new post you make here, but I hadn't noticed your voting poll about possibly discontinuing this blog. Sharon, another of your readers, alerted me to it today. I don't tend to pay as much attention to sidebars.

Do you have Sitemeter on your blog? I didn't notice it anywhere. I began blogging at the beginning of the year (not a bird blog). Sitemeter indicates to me about how many people are reading my blog each day, and who the regulars are. The number is far higher than the number of commentors. Even if they aren't all commenting, I know they're reading it. You might be surprised to find out you have alot of readers, too.

Another thing is that you don't post very often. It is hard to gain a following of readers when you post infrequently, especially in the beginning.

I'm saying all this in hopes of encouraging you to stick it out, because even though you may only be seeing a few commenters, those of us who do would really miss your blog if you just went away. It's a great one, as blogs go-seriously!

Toni said...

What Renna said, bro!!! ;)
Love this post about the blue birds, btw.
Love,
Pone

Sharon said...

Your blog is very informative.
I see on your map of recent visitors, you have quite of a few folk frequenting your site.

I have two Birding blogs linked to my own blog and you are one of them, I did that in hopes that others would be able to gain from the knowledge you two have posted.

It seems you are quite busy in your life and posting infrequently may be discouraging to you, yourself, but everything you post is something new to me, and I enjoy it all.

Thank your for sharing with us.

Toni said...

Bro,
My friend Cheryl and her dd both said they would be sad to see this one go.

Still think you ought to plug it via Thursday Thirteen.
Love ya,
POne

Anonymous said...

It is truley sad if no more has been able to share the enjoyment of these beautiful eastern blue birds. Since 1995 I have had the blue bird at my home. WE moved to the lake 4 years ago. SInce my property is larger I have 2 eastern blue bird house for them to nest. (I read somewhere not to have more than 2 to an acre) & Since then every year I have had from 3 to 9 babies. 2 years ago is when I had 9 I have a bird bath on my deck & everyone of them were in it bathing. What a sight & how adorable they are.I took so many pictures that year. Last year I had 6. This year they have already hatched & left the nest. They are having there 2nd now. This is why I found your web site. I had to be sure . I never new they could have more than one hatching a year.

Lwatson304 said...

I've been trying to attract bluebirds for years to my yard. One year, we had starlings make a nest in our bluebird box, and raise their babies. I've read that if you paint your house 'blue' that will attract them, as well as have a 'blue' piece of material, that is light-weight, that might blow in the wind, as the bird might spot it, and think that it is a wing, of another blue bird...I almost bought meal worms at our tractor supply store the other day, but I wasn't certain 'what' to put them in, in order to 'hopefully' feed bluebirds....I got so grossed out just looking at them in the bag, the gal in the store was laughing at me...Lol....ANY input, is helpful...I LOVE my birds!!!

Lwatson304 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.