Saturday, May 3, 2008

After Some Soul Searching Here's my conclusion

After sitting back a week and deciding what direction I would take concerning the blog, I came up with the following conclusion.

I put up the recommended site meter and the hits are less than impressive, definitely not enough to post more than once a week. I realize I do not make the blog circuit but my life allows little to no time for that. I also realize I'm tapping into a subject that is not as popular as some.

However there are several people expressing their desire to see the blog continue. I've always had the state of mind that if I can help or touch just one person in a positive way then it's worth my time.

With that being said, this is what I came up with. From this date forward I will post on a bird or something relating to birds once a week. The post will be put online either Saturday or Sunday of each week. If for some reason I will not be able to make that time frame I will post on Friday giving the date I'll be posting next. I will still try to keep it in that weeks time frame. If there are any subjects or birds you would like to see a post on simply drop me an email at ohiohunter@windstream.net. I'll also try to keep a poll up asking which bird you would like information on in my next post. The poll will only run from Sunday - Wednesday so I'll have enough time to get the information and post it. If there are no responses I'll pick the topic my self.

I'm going to give this a 3 month trial and see how it goes. If visitors are up and all is going well I'll continue it. If it drops I'll revisit the idea of shutting it down. Thanks to all of you that posted encouragement to keep this up and running. It was heart warming and gave me the boost needed to continue. My next blog will be Saturday or Sunday May 3-4. I'll put up a poll with a list of birds tonight and it will run through Wednesday evening. You should have an idea of what's next based upon the poll. Thanks again for the encouragement and I'll do my best to make the post informative as possible.

5 comments:

Renna said...

I am happy that you've decided to continue. I can understand your reasons for doubt about it. I've only been blogging for 4 months, and have been a little overwhelmed at times at the amount of time which goes into keeping it up, and mine offers nothing like yours, in the way of knowledge and research.

I will appreciate even a once-a-week post from you. I wish I knew other birders to send this way.

Sharon said...

I agree with Renna.
I'm also new to "blogging", and it is time consuming.
You offer good information that I am learning from.
I too will appreciate even a once a week post on your site.
Thank you for reconsidering.

Toni said...

Yay! Sounds like a good plan, bro. I'll be by for sure.
Love,
Pone

Anonymous said...

GLAD YOU HAVE SEMI-DECIDED TO CONTINUE YOUR BLOG. MY DAUGHTER, MEREDITH, AND I LOVE ALL YOUR INFORMATION. WE JUST STARTED FEEDING OUR BIRDS (WE HAVE 6 FEEDERS IN OUR YARD) ABOUT A YEAR AGO. I'M A FRIEND OF TONI AND CARL'S AND LIVE IN JEFFERSON, OHIO.

Susan Courtnay said...

Hi, I'm Susan in Idaho. I have backyard feeders at a home not far from the high desert of the Great Basin. I have great bird response at my feeders, but a real problem right now with Red-Winged Blackbirds. You'd think they were starving! I only had one pair last year and enough feeders so they weren't a problem. Well,they've brought family and friends. The Indigo Buntings have just arrived, but the RWBB keep running them off the feeders. Any suggestions? I would put out a platform feeder with just corn and sunflower seeds, but the wind is so strong and constant here nothing will stay on a platform. HELP!